Memory

 (Picture)


“Memory”

(a painting by Elihu Vedder, b 1836 NY, d 1923 Rome in LA County Museum of Art)

 

 

I examined this painting

and wondered what

The artist had thought.

 

Looking on Landscape

Crusading through clouds:

 

I see me as history

Peacefully looking down

As a child

Accepting the life I’d lead

As my best.

 

I see the child who

We never knew

For he or she died

Of sickness, trauma

Tragedy not controlled

Yet

We did not lose this child

For we see in the clouds.

 

I see the child in me

By looking up, feeling

So small, so minute

Knowing a simple parachute

could not bring the child down

And

I find peace of mind

For I see in the clouds.

 

If I could change the name

To change my thought’s pathways

I would say I could turn

Memory to Dream.

 

And Dream

Could bring me hope

For the child I never had.

It could erase the bad

dreams and memories

 

And bring

Hope, sustenance

For at least an instant

I’d know it could be

And so I would bring

That instant back

Over and over

Looking up into

 

The clouds.

 

Annie

11-22-98

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is This Nature

On Restoration

Loving Like A Rock